Snark Search

Monday, May 5, 2008

My Flan Adventure

We're having a Cinco de Mayo lunch at work today. Last week the sign-up sheet appeared in the kitchen asking "What will you bring to our lovely Cinco de Mayo lunch?" I was about to do my old staple - nothing, but then decided I wanted to try something out for this lunch. What did I decide on? FLAN! Had I ever in my life made a flan? No. Have I ever even eaten flan before? Again, no. But I was determined to make one, actually to make two - a test flan and the flan that would appear at work.

I scoured the internet looking for a good, but simple flan recipe. When I found the one I wanted I read through it a couple times to make sure I felt I could do it. Friday afternoon I went shopping for the baking utensils I would need: a tube pan and a pastry brush.

M. and I went out Saturday morning to look for bar stools (didn't find any), had some lunch, and then went grocery shopping. I made sure to get all the necessary ingredients to make two flans. That afternoon, armed with everything I thought I needed, I set to making my test flan. I caramelized some sugar, making sure to wash down the sides of my saucepan to prevent re-granulation. I poured the caramelized sugar into my brand new tube pan so it could harden while I mixed up the actual flan. Everything seemed to be coming together nicely. I prepared the hot water in a pan to place the flan-filled tube pan in, put in my tube pan and then poured the flan... and realized my mistake. My tube pan was one where the bottom pushed upward for easy release after baking. My flan mixture was the consistency of milk. I poured the mixture into the tube pan and immediately the water in the pan in which the tube pan was sitting started to become cloudy. My flan was leaking!!

Frustrated, I poured my test flan down the disposal and informed M. I had to once again venture out to get the right kind of tube pan. I set out with the intention to get the pan as well as the now missing ingredients so I could still make two flans. In my frustration at the failed first attempt I forgot to write on my shopping list that I needed two cans of sweeten condensed milk and two cans of evaporated milk. I only got one each, but didn't realize until I was already home. I was not going out again on Saturday!

So once again I caramelized some sugar, poured it into my even newer, water-tight tube pan, mixed me up some flan, and poured it in. An hour after baking in my oven I had what looked to be a good flan (at least the bottom looked nice). I cooled the thing over night and Sunday morning popped it out of the pan. The flan came out, but the caramelized sugar topping decided it loved my new tube pan and it stayed in there. Oh well, so no caramelized sugar topping on the flan. It still looked pretty good and I had bought strawberries to decorate it with.

I don't know how it will taste, but it looks pretty enough!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The flan was very good. Congrats!

MH

Anonymous said...

It was awesome! And I know me some flan! :)

KE