Snark Search

Saturday, March 1, 2008

Froggy Love



Did you know frogs are becoming extinct? Amphibian Ark has dubbed 2008 Year of the Frog.


There are lots of ways people can help support AArk in it's mission to keep frogs going - just check out their website. Hey, you can even download a frog chirp ringtone for your phone. That's pretty cool! You can also encourage your local zoo to become Association of Zoo and Aquariums (AZA) accredited. Geico is an AZA supporter!

I had seen something about this situation when I recently visited a zoo website. I had also seen the AZA endorsement pop up on Geico commercials. Then today there was an article in an area paper about what one of our local zoos is doing in way of support for the frogs.

I have always loved frogs and would have had them as pets if my mother and sister did not abhor amphibians and reptiles in the house. I am hoping 2008 will be an extremely successful year for our froggy friends. Send some love to the froggies of the world! (How can you not support an organization with a logo so cute?!)

Here's some stats for you from the AZA (and my first list for March NaBloPoMo):



  • There are about 6,000 species of frogs in the world and about half of them are in danger of extinction

  • 34 species are known to already be extinct

  • 130 species have not been seen in the wild in recent years

  • North America are currently prepared to manage only 10 frog species long-term

  • AZA zoos each only have to take responsibility for only 1 frog specie to start towards a solution to this problem

2 comments:

Sara in Nodak said...

Where do you get that I "abhor" amphibians and reptiles? You had a salamander in the house. I have no aversion to them as pets. I think you just made that up.

LilSeed said...

Okay, so maybe my memory is not wonderful, or perhaps your dislikes and likes have changed over the years. In any case, you comments show that you are just as snarky as me! :P