Snark Search

Monday, July 28, 2008

Best Wishes and No Farewells **EDIT**

7/28/08: Had to write an edit worthy of my little brother this morning. By the way, as my brother so lovingly <insert major sarcasm here> pointed out, he is 25, not 26. But he will be 26 at the end of August. I just subtracted 3 years from my own age and ended up a month and a half off... Anyway, back to this post's edit.

M. was reading my post last night at home and said, "You've never been to the west coast?" At that exact moment I remembered I have been to the west coast, once, briefly, back in 2003 or 2004. When I was in graduate school I attended a conference in San Francisco. I didn't see a lot of the west coast, but was there. So, I amend my post. I've never been to the northwest coast...

Portland, Oregon. This is likely a city I would never have thought of much in my entire life if the past couple years had not happened. In the past couple years I've had two dear friends whom I met at work go through some life-changing events and then decided to move on to Portland. (And how ironic is it that the book I started on Saturday is set in Portland and the movie M. and I watched last night is as well?)

The latest friend, Ms. E., will be taking a flight out there on Tuesday to start her new life. We had a get-together Friday evening at a bar for her. M. and I went, not planning to stay long (bars are not our scene), and ended up being the last ones standing outside the bar with E. as the warm, sultry night air enveloped us. We stood there, finding one last thing to say after one last thing to say to delay the inevitable hug before parting ways. Finally, we had to let her go. But this is just best wishes to E. - not a farewell!

I for one plan to keep up with E. as she makes her way our there on the west coast. M. and I will also try to make it out there next summer for a visit - stopping first in North Dakota to see my family and my brother's new house. I've never been to the west coast, so I'm already excited and want to plan the trip NOW.

Dearest E., email me often, send lots of pictures, and don't forget to use chat! I send you best wishes for a safe flight tomorrow and for a wonderful life in Portland. All warm snarkies today are dedicated to you. Don't forget about us back here!

PS- thanks for the 'Free Fla-Vor-Ice' sign - almost didn't see it this morning!

2 comments:

Sara in Nodak said...

I believe that's coincidence not irony. :p

Unknown said...

As mentioned, Robling's Oasis, a new boutique studio in downtown Portland, is open for reservations! Cannot wait for your visit. Sounds like OR is calling out to you already (friends, book, movie...how many signs do you need?!).

Settling in here amidst boxes (including the amazing one you created) and gorgeous weather. Thanks so much for the beautiful post. It brought tears to my eyes.

Love you, Snark! E.