Snark Search

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Okay, Google Got Me (briefly)

There was a new link at the top of my Gmail screen today. It said Gmail had a new feature. Well, cool, I'm all up for new features. So I clicked the link to New! Gmail Custom Time. I read the article about how I can now "be on time every time" by using Gmail Custom Time to set any date and time on my emails, at least as far back as April 1, 2004 (and no, that did not tip me off, I kept reading...).

I thought to myself how cool this was. I could send emails and they would appear to be from whatever day and time I wanted. Then I got to the part where it said each user could only do this 10 time because doing this more than 10 times would cause people to lose faith in the accuracy of time (now I'm thinking...).

Hmmm, that seemed strange to me. Why offer a cool new feature that I can use only 10 times?! Oh yeah, it's April 1st. So I emailed M.

P.S. - I did not read the Beta User Testimonials until I was writing this post and went to the page to link back to it. Funny stuff! Thanks, Google! This one is my fav, M. is anxiously waiting for Radiohead tickets to go on sale at a location near us,
"I just got two tickets to Radiohead by being the 'first' to respond to a
co-worker's 'first-come, first-serve' email. Someone else had already won them,
but I told everyone to check their inboxes again. Everyone sort of knows I used
Custom Time on this one, but I'm denying it."
Robby S., Paralegal

No comments: