Snark Search

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Alert, Alert! I registered my CELL PHONE!!


Dear Coworker,

When our boss sent out an email proclaiming everyone must register their cell phones with the no call list or they would be plagued by telemarketers I tried to do the responsible thing by finding the accurate information and providing the information to said boss. Little did I know that it would be forwarded to the entire office and you would go into panic mode.

Coworker, I sincerely regret ever sending out accurate information that is beyond your comprehension. I did not realize that it would result in a ten minute phone call trying to explain to you that no, it does not matter if you did register your cell phone with the no call list, you just don't have to.

No, the email originally sent out by our boss is not a hoax, per se. It is a mass hysteria email that got started when the mention of a national cell phone directory got out. This caused people to think, "Oh no! My cell phone number will be published and every telemarketer in the world will call me at dinner time!" This started the emails, but what the email doesn't tell you is that you need to opt-in to the cell phone directory. Without opting in, your cell phone is not going to be published and those telemarketers will not be able to reach you because you know what? They won't have your number!!

Please refer to these websites that I conveniently included in the email bossman forwarded and you apparently did not check out before panicking and calling me: Federal Trade Commission: The Truth about Cell Phones and the National Do Not Call Registry and Snopes.com: Celling Your Soul.

"But LilSeed," you say, "you are the queen of all knowledge." I know dear coworker, and the ten minute call this afternoon probably would not have bothered me if you didn't make similar calls to me at least three times a week about everything under the sun.

Perhaps sometime we could sit down and I could give you a lesson or two on who to call when and how to do some 'net research yourself. Give me a call some time and we can set that up. Or on second thought, don't call me - I will call you.

Sincerely,
LilSeed

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so curious about who this is...
Signed,
Fellow snarky co-worker (R)

Anonymous said...

Too funny. I actually heard you on this call; I didn't know you were talking them down from the cell phone tower. Maybe you should have let them jump.....

MH

LilSeed said...

Yeah, it probably wasn't quite ten minutes long, but it certainly FELT that way!

Storm said...

Hey! Give credit to M. when it is deserved (he takes enough punishment here as it is, haha)!!! You emailed M. asking if it was true or not and he sent you the Snopes link!! :D