Snark Search

Monday, February 18, 2008

Narration

I posted this some time ago on my old blog, but it is one of my favorite posts from that blogging time.

When I was growing up my parents lived on 23 acres of land. Only about 10 acres of this was maintained as a yard, the rest was allowed to grow wild. Lots of trees, weeds, rocks, etc. I played out in the "wild" quite a bit. Probably more than I played with my toys.

When I was outside playing I would often make up stories and act them out while narrating the whole thing. I would also narrate my life as it happened. For instance, as I was preparing for bed I would think in my mind (I typically narrated only to myself), "She then cautiously crossed the darkened room to her bed. Once safely across the room she slid between the cool sheets." And so on...

I hadn't really thought about it much, but sometimes I still narrate parts of my life. I don't do it nearly as much as when I was younger, making up stories and playing outside, but every so often I catch myself still narrating in my mind. There doesn't seem to be any specific events that I narrate, usually just the mundane, routine stuff.

Does anyone else do this or am I just crazy imaginative?

No comments: